The bread and butter of what we offer at Ignite Counselling and Psychology. We could list off all the types of treatments, modalities and methodologies that we use here; as well as all the ‘issues’ and ‘disorders’ that we work with too. However we come from a genuine place in believing that you are not your problem and your problem is not you.
We will assist you in exploring your struggles, identify goals for yourself, and recognize strengths and how to use them to get to where you want to be.
Counselling sessions are one hour in length and we work with whatever you bring in. Every counsellor and psychologist operates a little differently or might have more experience working in certain areas, so we invite you to check out more of the website in regards to who we are more, individually.
We look forward to working with you.
Do we do direct billing to insurance? No; appointment receipts can submitted to your benefits company for reimbursement after your session. Please double check with your coverage to ensure your coverage matches your clinician; ask us if you have any questions or concerns!
- Practicum Clinicians: $85/hour
- Counsellors: $170/hour
- Psychologists: $200/hour
What is Counselling like for Youth?
School stress? Challenging family, friend and romantic relationships? Self-harm struggles? Thoughts of suicide? Social anxiety? Drug and alcohol problems? Issues with anger?
There are many, many reasons that youth decide to try counselling out for themselves. Likely if you've found yourself on this page, you're looking for help; for yourself, for a friend, for a family member. We are here to help you through whatever situation you want to throw at us, every step of the way; free of judgement. Sometimes it can also feel like no one else in the world has experienced anything close to what you're going through. Please trust that nothing you say will shock us or make us think less of or differently of you. Chances are we've heard something similar before and throughout the whole process, we're there to help you move forward in the best way that you can and to help you be as successful as possible.
Some questions or thoughts that you might have:
“My parents are forcing me to go!”
– Your parent(s) might be the one(s) who got you through the door and made initial contact with us, but this is your space and your safe area to share and connect with us.
“You’re going to tell my parents what I say!”
- Absolutely, most definitely not! Promise. On the counselling side of things, If you are 12 years old or older, you will be able to sign a consent form yourself for counselling and whatever you say within your counselling session will be kept private from everyone (with the exception of certain and specific circumstances - please click here to learn more). It does take a little bit of time to develop a trusting relationship with your counsellor, but please know that what you say is private and kept between us.
“It’s too scary to go on my own!”
– The first session can definitely seem a bit daunting and scary especially if you've never tried counselling out before. We encourage you to feel free to bring someone that you feel safe with to your first appointment with you. They can also attend further appointments with you too, but we're confident that you'll connect fairly quickly with your counsellor and be kicking your friend or parent out of the space in not too long.
“I don’t want my Counsellor to tell me what to do!”
- Don't worry! That is definitely what we're not here to do. We're here to listen, to walk beside you and to honour and respect your space within the room. If there is something you don't want to talk about or you're not quite ready to share, you will never be forced to give information or 'go there', unless you, yourself decide to.